or the adventures of Alice, her bicycle and a blue ukulele



This was written on aboriginal land. Sovereignty was never ceded. If you are reading this, you are standing on aboriginal land.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Exciting adventures brewing!

A speedy and unpretty entry as once again I don't have my camera cord on me, and limited net time.

I'm in Gympie and it feels like summer. I guess this feeling will only increase as I move further north, which is what I'm doing. A lot further north... because exciting plans are afoot!

Next week I'm being joined by my intrepid friend Ryan to cycle from Cairns to Alice Springs via the Gulf of Carpentaria. Click here to see our approximate route- all 2,200 km of it!
All a flurry of preparations, figuring out how much food and water we'll need to carry for some true remote riding. Perhaps the hardest part has been figuring out how to get to Cairns, but we finally have a standby relocation car organised from Brisbane to Cairns for $5 a day.

Just briefly, highlights of the past week have included: a full day workshop in making sourdough bread, sourdough pikelets, kimchi, sauerkraut and fruit wine with Elizabeth Fekonia, which I paid for in a day's labour, building worm farms and painting; adventuring with my friend Rachael to the tranquil Boreen Pt where ducks and the moon were reflected in the sighing waters of Lake Cootharaba; relaxing at the house of Jim (my aunt's brother) and wife Kay, soaking up their beautiful gardens, marvelling at Jim's ingenuity in fixing my kickstand (hooray, no more searching for trees and posts for leaning!); and reading three novels in as many days. Photos coming asap.

Onward and upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment